If you’ve spent more money than you can count on visits to Los Angeles museums, zoos, and gardens, you may want to consider looking into memberships for families at your favorite locations. Yearly memberships not only grant you and your family unlimited visits, but many of them come with extra perks like private invitations, special events, and merch discounts.
Best Memberships for Families
There’s no lack of fun things to do with kids in Los Angeles, but they can get pricey, and memberships are a great way to save money. Check out our list of the best memberships for families in LA and find the right fit for your needs.
On 133-acres, the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Garden is tucked away in scenic Griffith Park. With more than 1,100 mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles, there’s enough to entertain the whole family for more than 1-day. After just 2-visits, the membership pays for itself.
- Membership cost: The family membership is $150 and includes unlimited admission for two adults named on the card plus your own children or grandchildren (ages 2-17).
- Membership perks: Members get discounted tickets to more than 170 zoos and aquariums throughout the U.S. and Canada, special entrance with no lines, merchandise discounts, and deals on camps, classes, and birthday parties.
- Location: 5333 Zoo Dr, Los Angeles, CA
- Website: https://www.lazoo.org
The Aquarium of the Pacific is a multi-sensory educational extravaganza with lots of marine creatures to see, touch, feed, and learn about. With over 11,000 animals and more than 50 exhibits, you and your family can find something fun to explore each time you visit.
- Membership cost: Family memberships are $169 for 2 adults and all children living in the same household (age 17 and under). You can also get the plus membership for $239, including added perks.
- Membership perks: Members get unlimited free admission, previews to new exhibits, members-only events, VIP entry, 50% off parking, 10% gift store discounts, and discounts on guest tickets, day camps, and gift memberships.
- Location: 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA
- Website: https://www.aquariumofpacific.org
Previously known as Zimmer Children’s Museum, Cayton Children’s Museum is a hands-on museum that encourages kids to explore diversity and culture through pretend play and educational activities. Every exhibit is an engaging experience with unique invitations to explore, from flying a plane to playing instruments.
- Membership cost: Family membership for 4 is $360 per year, whereas membership for 6 is $500 per year.
- Membership perks: Members can visit the museum whenever they want without reserving a time slot. Additionally, you can take advantage of the members-only hours, special access to events, advance registration to classes and camps, discounts in the store, passes for out-of-town guests, and 50% off general admission (up to 6) at member museums nationwide.
- Location: 395 Santa Monica Pl Suite 374 Level 3, Santa Monica, CA
- Website: https://www.caytonmuseum.org
Descanso Gardens is a 160-acre botanical garden featuring a massive rose garden, a Japanese garden, an oak forest, a lakeside hiking trail, an art museum, a miniature train, and more. You could spend hours exploring here and still not see it all in one visit.
- Membership cost: You can purchase a 1-year Descanso Gardens family membership for $99 or save more with a 2-year membership for $188. Additionally, you can get the family plus membership for $195, which includes a discount on additional guest admission. The membership is for 2 adults and 4 children.
- Membership perks: Members get early admission, discounts on special events like the ever-popular Enchanted and Carved, 10% off cafe and gift shop purchases, and member-only classes and events. Additionally, you can get admission privileges to more than 300 reciprocal gardens in the U.S. and Canada.
- Location: 1418 Descanso Dr, La Cañada Flintridge, CA
- Website: https://www.descansogardens.org
With nearly 35 million specimens and artifacts covering 4.5 billion years of history, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles is the largest natural and historical museum in the Western United States. A single-day trip won’t cut it with so much to see and do, making a family membership well worth the cost.
- Membership cost: The family membership is $149 and includes membership for two named adults and up to four named children (ages 3 to 17), plus one unnamed guest.
- Membership perks: Members get unlimited admission to the Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits, Page Museum, and the William S. Hart Museum. Additionally, you’ll get free tickets to the Butterfly Pavilion, Spider Pavilion, Bug Fair, and discounts on merchandise, day camps, workshops, and parties.
- Location: 900 W Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
- Website: https://nhm.org
Defy Thousand Oaks is an indoor amusement attraction featuring trampolines, foam pits, aerial silks, and more. It’s a great place for kids to get their energy out while having fun.
- Membership cost: The Elite Defy Family Membership is a pre-set 4-person membership for $23.49 per month. You pay for 3-months at a time.
- Membership perks: Members can jump every day Monday through Friday and 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday, gain access to exclusive member-only nights, skip the lines, and enjoy birthday and merchandise discounts.
- Location: 193 N Moorpark Rd Suite A, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Website: https://defy.com/locations/defy-thousand-oaks
With more than 40 interactive exhibits that encourage kids to have fun while they learn, Kidspace nurtures the potential of all children, inspiring them to become joyful, active learners. This museum is definitely a kid-driven experience for families that will leave you wanting to come back again and again.
- Membership cost: There are several membership options depending on the size of your family. It’s $199 for a family of 4 and $225 for 5 or more.
- Membership perks: You’ll get unlimited free admission for up to four members, designate a caregiver or nanny for free, receive discounts at the store, cafe, and early learning classes and camps. Additionally, you can get deals for guests and invitations to members-only events.
- Location: 480 N Arroyo Blvd, Pasadena, CA
- Website: https://kidspacemuseum.org
What memberships for families have you enjoyed? Let us know the best family memberships in LA in our Local Anchor Facebook Group!