October is California Archaeology Month, and the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is celebrating it with Archaeology Day! The event will be held at the Interagency Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch on October 8, from 9:00am to 2:00pm.
Bring the entire family to King Gillette Ranch to join us in celebrating International Archaeology Day! This event will be family friendly with activities for people of all ages!
The event will be hosted at the Interagency Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch on October 8, from 9:00am to 2:00pm and will feature all-day activities along with performances throughout the day. Please read below for a full list of activities and the times of the presentations.
- 9:30am to 11:00am- Blessing and acknowledging the first People of the land followed by Stories & Songs by Chumash elders Ted and Dennis Garcia
- 11:00am- The Long and Winding Road: A History of Roosevelt Highway and the Malibu Road Wars by Ann Stansell (California State Parks)
- 12:00pm- Paramount Ranch Through the Ages: An Archaeologist’s Perspective by Aaron Davis & Nicole Kulaga (National Park Service)
- 1:00pm – Archaeology at the Chumash Village of talepop at King Gillette Ranch by Chester King (archaeologist)
• Alan Salazar, Chumash/ Tataviam with a pigment workshop & storytelling
• Dig up “artifacts” like an archaeologist in the hands-on excavation box
• Practice throwing an atlatl spear or a rabbit stick at a target
• Watch flint knapping demonstrations as experts turn stone into arrowheads
• See genuine local artifacts on display
• Learn more about history and prehistory with our hands-on replica artifact tables
• Learn about the difference between archaeologists and paleontologists (hint: archaeologists don’t dig dinosaurs)
• Discover archaeology programs offered at local colleges
• Become a Junior Archaeologist and earn a special patch!
This event & parking is completely free and open to the public.
Interagency Visitor Center is located at 26876 Mulholland Highway, Calabasas, CA 91302.
Questions about this event? Contact us at the Interagency Visitor’s Center at King Gillette Ranch.
Email: [email protected]