In honor of Make a New Friend Day, we’ve compiled a list of some insightful friendship quotes to help inspire your kids (and you) to put yourself out there and make a new connection.
The Benefits of New Friends At Any Age
Whether your kids are sparking a friendship at the playground or you’re hoping to make a new acquaintance at mommy and me class, it can sometimes feel hard to make new friends. But friendships are critical, both for kids and adults, especially on this bumpy journey called parenthood.
Put simply, good friends are good for our health. They help to increase our sense of purpose and belonging. They also boost our levels of happiness and reduce anxiety and stress.
Friendships are essential at every age in life, from children through adolescence and into adulthood. Making new friends aids kids’ developmental growth in various ways, from socialization and building self-confidence to conflict resolution and teaching values, like kindness and sharing.
As an adult, especially as a new parent, your friends are there to help you through the challenging moments and to revel in the good ones. Friends help prevent loneliness, offer a support system, and create lasting memories no matter what age you are.
20 Sweet and Thoughtful Friendship Quotes
Putting the meaning of true friendship into words has been a pursuit of humans for thousands of years. Here are 20 inspiring friendship quotes that truly put into words the power of friendship in the world:
1. “We didn’t realize we were making memories; we just knew we were having fun.” – Winnie the Pooh.
2. “The truth is, no matter how lonely you might feel, you’re never going through anything alone…You can choose your family.” Jennifer Lopez.
3. “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” Author Unknown
4. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” — Elbert Hubbard.
5. “Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?” — Abraham Lincoln.
6. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” Marcel Proust.
7. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘You too? I thought I was the only one.'” C.S. Lewis.
8. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” – Helen Keller.
9. “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” Jane Austen.
10. “Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.” Mario Puzo.
11. My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” — Henry Ford.
12. “In a friend, you find a second self.” — Isabelle Norton.
13. “Celebrate the people in your life who are there because they love you for no other reason than because you are you.” Mandy Hale.
14. “Love is temporary, but friends are forever.” — Kelly Wheeler.
15. “Things are never quite scary when you’ve got a best friend.” — Bill Watterson.
16. “It’s not what we have in life, but who we have in our life that matters.” — Unknown
17. “One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” Mindy Kaling.
18. “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” — Woodrow T. Wilson.
19. “It’s so much more friendly with two.” – A. A. Milne.
Pooh’s Little Instruction Book.
20. “A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have.” Irish Proverb.
How to Make New Friends
If you are looking to make new friends, it’s a good idea to attend events or visit places where you are likely to meet families with similar interests. Whether it’s a kids’ gymnastics class, a local playground, a place you volunteer, or the drop-off line at summer camp, there are so many places both kids and new parents can meet other families and make new friends.
Whether you need a little inspiration to help your kids make a new friend or you want to celebrate a friend that you are especially grateful for in your life, the above 20 friendship quotes are a great way to explain how important friends are in your life.
Looking to make new mom friends? Join our Local Anchor Facebook group to meet parents just like you.