There’s no lack of fun things to do with kids in Los Angeles, but they can get pricey, and memberships are a great way to make memories without stretching your budget. From Los Angeles museums to zoos and gardens, there are so many fun and interactive experiences to enjoy with your family. If you find a place you love, consider looking into memberships for families to save money at your favorite locations.
Check out our list of the best memberships for families in LA and find the right fit for your needs.
Best Memberships for Families
Yearly memberships not only grant you and your family unlimited visits, but many of them come with extra perks like private invitations, special events, and merch discounts.
LA Zoo Membership
On 133-acres, the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Garden is tucked away in scenic Griffith Park. With more than 1,100 mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles, there’s enough to entertain the whole family for more than 1-day. After just two visits, the membership pays for itself.
- Membership cost: The family membership is $150 and includes unlimited admission for two adults named on the card plus your own children or grandchildren (ages 2-17).
- Membership perks: Members get discounted tickets to more than 170 zoos and aquariums throughout the U.S. and Canada, special entrance with no lines, merchandise discounts, and deals on camps, classes, and birthday parties.
- Location: 5333 Zoo Dr, Los Angeles, CA
- Website: https://www.lazoo.org
Aquarium of the Pacific Membership
The Aquarium of the Pacific is a multi-sensory educational extravaganza with lots of marine creatures to see, touch, feed, and learn about. With over 11,000 animals and more than 50 exhibits, you and your family can find something fun to explore each time you visit.
- Membership cost: Family memberships are $169 for 2 adults and all children living in the same household (age 17 and under). You can also get the plus membership for $239, including added perks.
- Membership perks: Members get unlimited free admission, previews to new exhibits, members-only events, VIP entry, 50% off parking, 10% gift store discounts, and discounts on guest tickets, day camps, and gift memberships.
- Location: 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA
- Website: https://www.aquariumofpacific.org
Cayton Children’s Museum Family Membership
Previously known as Zimmer Children’s Museum, Cayton Children’s Museum is a hands-on museum that encourages kids to explore diversity and culture through pretend play and educational activities. Every exhibit is an engaging experience with unique invitations to explore, from flying a plane to playing instruments.
- Membership cost: Family membership for 4 is $360 per year, whereas membership for 6 is $500 per year.
- Membership perks: Members can visit the museum whenever they want without reserving a time slot. Additionally, you can take advantage of the members-only hours, special access to events, advance registration to classes and camps, discounts in the store, passes for out-of-town guests, and 50% off general admission (up to 6) at member museums nationwide.
- Location: 395 Santa Monica Pl Suite 374 Level 3, Santa Monica, CA
- Website: https://www.caytonmuseum.org
Descanso Gardens Family Membership
Descanso Gardens is a 160-acre botanical garden featuring a massive rose garden, a Japanese garden, an oak forest, a lakeside hiking trail, an art museum, a miniature train, and more. You could spend hours exploring here and still not see it all in one visit.
- Membership cost: You can purchase a 1-year Descanso Gardens family membership for $99 or save more with a 2-year membership for $188. Additionally, you can get the family plus membership for $195, which includes a discount on additional guest admission. The membership is for 2 adults and 4 children.
- Membership perks: Members get early admission, discounts on special events like the ever-popular Enchanted and Carved, 10% off cafe and gift shop purchases, and member-only classes and events. Additionally, you can get admission privileges to more than 300 reciprocal gardens in the U.S. and Canada.
- Location: 1418 Descanso Dr, La Cañada Flintridge, CA
- Website: https://www.descansogardens.org
Natural History Museum Membership
With nearly 35 million specimens and artifacts covering 4.5 billion years of history, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles is the largest natural and historical museum in the Western United States. A single-day trip won’t cut it with so much to see and do, making a family membership well worth the cost.
- Membership cost: The family membership is $149 and includes membership for two named adults and up to four named children (ages 3 to 17), plus one unnamed guest.
- Membership perks: Members get unlimited admission to the Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits, Page Museum, and the William S. Hart Museum. Additionally, you’ll get free tickets to the Butterfly Pavilion, Spider Pavilion, Bug Fair, and discounts on merchandise, day camps, workshops, and parties.
- Location: 900 W Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
- Website: https://nhm.org
Defy Family Membership
Defy Thousand Oaks is an indoor amusement attraction featuring trampolines, foam pits, aerial silks, and more. It’s a great place for kids to get their energy out while having fun.
- Membership cost: The Elite Defy Family Membership is a pre-set 4-person membership for $23.49 per month. You pay for 3-months at a time.
- Membership perks: Members can jump every day Monday through Friday and 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday, gain access to exclusive member-only nights, skip the lines, and enjoy birthday and merchandise discounts.
- Location: 193 N Moorpark Rd Suite A, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Website: https://defy.com/locations/defy-thousand-oaks
Kidspace Children’s Museum Membership
With more than 40 interactive exhibits that encourage kids to have fun while they learn, Kidspace nurtures the potential of all children, inspiring them to become joyful, active learners. This museum is definitely a kid-driven experience for families that will leave you wanting to come back again and again.
- Membership cost: There are several membership options depending on the size of your family. It’s $199 for a family of 4 and $225 for 5 or more.
- Membership perks: You’ll get unlimited free admission for up to four members, designate a caregiver or nanny for free, receive discounts at the store, cafe, and early learning classes and camps. Additionally, you can get deals for guests and invitations to members-only events.
- Location: 480 N Arroyo Blvd, Pasadena, CA
- Website: https://kidspacemuseum.org
South Coast Botanic Garden
This gorgeous green space in Palos Verdes is the perfect spot to explore and enjoy an afternoon outdoors. With a collection of over 200,000 plants, there’s always something new to see, making it the ideal place to visit again and again.
- Membership cost: Membership packages start at $75/ year for the Basic+ tier, which covers admission for two adults and up to four children.
- Membership perks: Benefits include discounts on special exhibits and programs, reciprocal privileges at other gardens outside of SoCal, and deals at some local nurseries.
- Location: 26300 Crenshaw Boulevard, Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274
- Website: https://southcoastbotanicgarden.org/
Petersen Automotive Museum
Calling all motorheads! If your kids have a Hot Wheels collection, they will love seeing the real deal up close and personal. With over 250 vehicles on display and interactive exhibits, your young racers will want to come again and again.
- Membership cost: The family membership is $120/ year and covers admission for two adults and two children per visit.
- Membership perks: Perks include guest admission, 10% off at the museum store, early access to some programming, and free entry to additional auto museums in California and the US.
- Location: 6060 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90036
- Website: https://www.petersen.org/
Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens
The 83,000 species of plants filling the 130-acre Botanical Gardens alone is enough for several visits to the Huntington. The Children’s Garden will have your kids pleading to come back. Add to that the art museum and library, and membership is the best option for visiting all year long.
- Membership cost: A one-year membership is $159 and covers admission for two named adults from the same household plus their children, 18 and under.
- Membership perks: Besides admission, membership includes 10% store discounts, invitations to events, and savings on some lectures and classes.
- Location: 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108
- Website: https://huntington.org/
With four floors full of music-inspired interactive exhibits, the museum offers plenty to explore with each visit.
- Membership cost: An annual Household membership is $125 and covers admission for two adults and up to four children.
- Membership perks: Extra member perks include special access to educational programming and family events, 10% off at the museum store, and deals at LA Live restaurants and shops.
- Location: 800 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Website: https://grammymuseum.org/
Autry Museum of the American West
In addition to the unique exhibitions and exciting events, the newest addition to the Autry will keep kids wanting to visit again and again. The newly opened Family Play Space features rotating family-friendly activities ideal for kids 2-10.
- Membership cost: The Family membership is $140 and includes admission for two adults in the same household and their children and one free guest each visit.
- Membership perks: Membership includes two one-time uses guest passes, a 10% discount in the museum shop and cafe, and discounts on ticketed events and performances.
- Location: 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Website: https://theautry.org/
Did you know that LACMA offers free membership to all Los Angeles county residents under 18? Register your kids for the NexGenLA program, and they will receive free admission anytime; plus, they can bring along one adult for free. All you have to do is fill out a form online, and they’ll have membership until they turn 18.
- Location: 5905 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Website: https://www.lacma.org/
What memberships for families have you enjoyed? Let us know the best family memberships in LA in our Local Anchor Facebook Group!