After closing its doors nearly two years ago, the former Promenade Ice Chalet in Rolling Hills Estates is set to reopen Tuesday, September 7.
The ice rink, located in the Promenade on the Peninsula and soon to be rebranded as the LA Kings Ice, has been a fixture in Rolling Hills Estates for nearly four decades.
Ice rink at Promenade on the Peninsula in Rolling Hill Estates Set to Reopen
“For close to 40 years, this facility was a tremendous community cornerstone, and we are excited to work with our partners to re-engage families here and return to the ice,” American Sports Entertainment Company (AESC) President Brad Berman said in a press release. “We believe LA Kings Ice at Promenade on the Peninsula will be a long-term, sustainable ice and entertainment center.”
Earlier this month, the LA Kings and AESC signed a multi-year lease agreement to jointly operate the skating rink.
“We are committed to inspiring future generations of athletes,” LA Kings President Luc Robitaille said in a release.
The rink is currently undergoing an extensive remodel. Some of the improvements include system upgrades and interior and exterior branding. There will also be repairs to the cold floor pipe system, leveling for the ice rink subfloor, repair of the dasher board system, a new scoreboard and new rental skates. Lastly, the upgrades will also include improved lighting and sound equipment, along with high-speed public internet access.
Under economic pressures caused by the pandemic, the rink had previously closed its doors on September 16, 2020. The indoor rink, originally opened in 1981, has been a staple for ice skating and hockey athletes in the area. It was even once home to figure skating icon Michelle Kwan.
Find fun things to do with kids on these round up posts:
- South Bay Wilderness Parks and Easy Trails for Kids
- Botanical Gardens in Southern California
- Guide to Southern California Zoo & Aquariums
- Best Places for Snow Near Los Angeles
- Social Distanced Places for Kids in Southern California
- Water Parks, Splash Pads, & Pools to cool off
- All things Planes, Trains, Boats & Automobiles
- Best Children’s Museums in Los Angeles & Orange County
- Children Programming at your Local Library
- 40+ Fun Things to Do with Kids in Los Angeles