When we teach our kids how to be kind, we create a better future for everyone. A great way to begin teaching kindness to our little ones is to familiarize them with a few inspiring kindness quotes. Kindness quotes can help kids understand the importance of thinking of others and treating others respectfully, and they can also help start conversations about how to be kind and why it matters.
Kindness Quotes to Inspire Kids
Read through our list of kindness quotes with your kids and start a conversation about the ideas they prompt.
1. “Learning to Stand in Somebody Else’s Shoes, to See Through Their Eyes, That’s How Peace Begins.” -Barack Obama
When we teach our kids how to see things from other’s perspective’s we teach them how to empathize. When we all learn how to empathize with others, we understand them, which brings peace.
2. “If You Want to Lift Yourself up, Lift Someone Else up.” -Booker T. Washington
Lifting others up not only brightens their spirits and instills happiness in them. Lifting others up and bringing joy to others also brings happiness and joy to the person doing the lifting. When you see how much you can uplift someone, it fills your own heart with joy.
3. “If You See Someone Without a Smile, Give Them One of Yours.” -Dolly Parton
A simple smile can release endorphins in your body. When you see someone feeling down, offer them a smile. Smiles are contagious and if they smile back, you could be helping them release endorphins too.
4. “It’s One of the Greatest Gifts You Can Give Yourself, to Forgive.” -Maya Angelou
Holding onto anger and other negative emotions can do more damage to ourselves than to the person we feel that way towards. Teach your child how to forgive early on, and you will set them free for a lifetime.
5. “Treat Everyone With Politeness and Kindness, Not Because They Are Nice, But Because You Are.” -Roy T. Bennett
If our children rely on the actions of others to determine their own actions and feelings, then it gives up their control over their own minds and wellness. When we teach our kids to maintain their kindness, happiness, and positive mindset no matter how others act towards them, we ultimately teach them great wisdom and peace of mind.
photo: Third Serving via Unsplash
6. “No Act of Kindness, No Matter How Small, Is Ever Wasted.” -Aesop
It’s important to teach our kids that the size of their kind gesture doesn’t affect its impact on others. The simple act of kindness, no matter how big or small, is enough to show someone you care.
7. “A Single Act of Kindness Throws Out Roots in All Directions, and the Roots Spring up and Make New Trees.” -Amelia Earhart
Kindness is contagious just like smiles are. When we treat others kindly, they’ll spread that same kindness to others. It starts a beautiful cycle.
8. “When I Was Young, I Admired Clever People. Now That I Am Old, I Admire Kind People.” -Abraham Joshua Heschel
Being clever takes time, wit, and skill, but being kind takes wisdom and courage. In many situations, being kind is much more difficult than being clever, which is why it’s an admirable trait to have.
9. “Kindness Is a Language Which the Deaf Can Hear and the Blind Can See.” -Mark Twain
Everyone can feel when kindness is offered to them. It’s a universal language of love that can touch everyone’s soul.
10. “A Great Man Shows His Greatness by the Way He Treats Little Men.” -Thomas Carlyle
As our kids grow, they’ll come across many different life situations. When they find themselves with the greater advantage, they should learn to always treat the one with less advantage just as kindly as anyone else. It takes a true superhero to be humble and kind when in power.
photo: Ditto Bowo via Unsplash
11. “Never Look Down on Anybody Unless You’re Helping Him up.” -Jesse Jackson
We should always view one another as equals. We’re all human beings trying to make it each day. It’s important to teach kids to never look down on anyone unless they’re reaching a helping hand.
12. “You Cannot Do a Kindness Too Soon, for You Never Know How Soon It Will Be Too Late.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
We should never wait to express or give kindness to someone. You never know when the opportunity might be taken away from you, and you never know how much of a difference it can make in someone’s life until you’re able to give it.
13. “The Simple Act of Caring Is Heroic.” -Edward Albert
It takes a true hero to put others before themselves when others are in need. It’s not always easy to care for others, which is why it’s so important to teach young kids how to care so they can carry those skills with them into adulthood.
14. “Sometimes It Takes Only One Act of Kindness and Caring to Change a Person’s Life.” -Jackie Chan
You never know what kind of positive impact one small act of kindness can have on someone. That’s why it’s always ideal to show kindness whenever possible and hope that it spreads to others.
15. “Kindness Is the Ability to Know What the Right Thing to Do Is and Having the Courage to Do it!” -RAKtivist
Making the right choice isn’t always the easiest choice to make. When we teach our kids to be strong individuals who stand up for what’s right, we can build a better tomorrow.
What are some of your favorite kindness quotes? Share any we missed in our Local Anchor Facebook group.