Need some winter birthday ideas for kids? Just because the weather outside is frightful doesn’t mean your birthday bash can’t be delightful! Hosting a birthday party for a winter child has its challenges, but don’t be discouraged because we’ve got some incredibly memorable birthday ideas for kids that they are sure to love!
Winter Birthday Ideas For Kids
Whether you want a warm and cozy birthday idea or an outdoor adventure, we’ve got you covered. There are tons of ways to celebrate your child’s birthday in the winter that are exciting and memorable!
photo: Jeff Dunham via Unsplash
Book a Hotel with a Pool
Having a birthday sleepover is always fun, but it’s even more fun at a hotel. And, the best part about it is that you can still have that pool party only inside! Reserve a hotel suite or two and have your kids invite a few friends to celebrate their birthday with a hotel sleepover and indoor pool party.
Indoor Water park
If you like the idea of a pool party but want a little more excitement, you can book a hotel with an indoor water park! Places like The Great Wolf Lodge have it all, including lodging, an indoor water park, and perfectly packaged birthday parties with decorations, pizza, cake, and other activities.
Slumber Party and Movies
Kids love slumber parties! They get to have all their friends stay over and stay up late. What’s great about having a birthday slumber party is that you don’t have to do a lot of prep work. Kids love pizza, cake, and movies. So, get a few decorations, order some pizza, and get those streaming movie apps queued up!
photo: Anastasia Shuraeva via Pexels
Indoor Amusement Centers
In addition to indoor water parks, there are tons of amusement centers where you can book a whole birthday party indoors. Here are a few ideas:
- Arcade Center: Arcade centers like Chuck E. Cheese make planning a birthday party a breeze. With different packages, kids can eat and play all while someone else does the clean-up.
- Bowling: Most bowling centers offer various birthday party packages, including bowling, rental shoes, and sometimes food depending on the package.
- Trampoline park or Bounce House: Depending on where you live, there may be a trampoline park like Sky Zone or a bounce house like Pump It Up! You’ll enjoy a private party room, jump time, and more. Plus, it wears the kids out, and you don’t have to worry about entertaining them.
If you’re feeling frosty, taking a group of kids ice skating or sledding for your child’s birthday is a great way to get them outdoors and entertained. Head out for a day of sledding or ice skating, then meet back at your house for hot cocoa and cake before everyone heads home.
Related: The Best Places To Ice Skate In L.A.
photo: Bruno Bueno via Pexels
Themed Birthday Party
Depending on what your kids love, you can plan a whole themed birthday party right at home. This is probably the most inexpensive of all the winter birthday party ideas. Not sure what to do? Here are a few themed birthday party ideas:
- LEGO party: Minecraft is a huge hit, and it fits perfectly into the LEGO party idea. You can purchase inexpensive Minecraft LEGO Kits for kids to construct or simply have bins of LEGO bricks for free building. Pair the fun with a LEGO-shaped birthday cake, a game of hide the LEGO, and LEGO-filled goody bags.
- Chef party: Head to the kitchen for a fun party where kids get to make their own food. Set up a pizza party with already prepared dough, cheese, sauce, and toppings, and let them create a pizza. Pair it with menu invitations, a chef hat, an apron, and a wooden spoon.
- Winter wonderland: Make your home into a magical winter wonderland with snowflakes, cotton-lined floors, and Christmas lights. Pair it with fun activities like a gingerbread house contest, cookie decorating, or ornament making.
What Should I Do for a December Birthday?
With Christmas in December, your child may feel like their birthday gets brushed under the rug. You want to separate your child’s birthday from Christmas as much as possible, even if their birthday is December 25th! To do this, you could wait until after Christmas to celebrate, or even have “half birthday parties” instead. Here are a few ideas for a December birthday party:
- Give them an experience: Instead of a traditional party at home with presents, give your child an experience such as a hotel pool party, an indoor waterpark party, or a day at the VR center.
- Take a trip: It may be challenging to get kids together around the holidays and if that’s the case, you can take a trip instead of having a party. Visit Palm Springs, take a Disney Cruise, or head to California.
Don’t let planning a winter birthday party give you the chills! Whether your child was born in the warm seasons or the colder ones, you can make each birthday exciting, and memorable with these winter birthday ideas!
Have you hosted a successful winter birthday bash? Share your party ideas with us in our Local Anchor Facebook group.