The sun is shining, the weather is gorgeous, and you’re looking for ways to fill your weekends with fun things to do with kids in the South Bay Los Angeles area! Good news! There are so many kids activities here that it was easy to make a list of kid friendly things to do year-round, for Spring Break, or Summer Vacation! It’s a South Bay Ultimate Guide of mostly outdoor ideas, that has kids jumping with joy, ready for adventure packed days of family fun activities!
The South Bay is known for some of the best beaches, best restaurants, and special events in Los Angeles County! And if it’s not in the South Bay, we are close to everything like theme parks, Aquarium of the Pacific, Natural History Museum, and even the LAX International Airport.
The South Bay is a great place to live or visit because there is always something to do! From farmers markets and street fairs, to festivals and concerts, there’s always something going on. And let’s not forget about all the great restaurants, shopping, and activities for kids, this laid-back beach vibe area is a must-visit place!
Also, check out these Fun Things to do with Kids South Bay Guides:
Note to our readers, we try to keep things as up to date as possible, but things change all the time. Please contact the venue directly before visiting.
Get ready for so much fun – Here’s the Ultimate Guide to 101 Fun Things to do with Kids in the South Bay
Fun Things to do Outdoors in the South Bay
South Coast Botanic Garden – Located in Palos Verdes: Marvel at over 70 acres of lush gardens and trails.
Wilderness park – Located in Redondo Beach : Enjoy a peaceful stroll with your family while admiring the local wildlife.
Valmonte Farm & Garden – Located in Palos Verdes Estates: Discover the beauty of nature while picking fresh fruits and vegetables.
Check out one of our a local Farmers Market – See what the South Bay has to offer in terms of local produce, flowers and artisanal goods at one of the many farmers markets located throughout Los Angeles & Orange County.
Madrona Marsh Preserve – Located in Torrance: Explore this nature preserve with winding trails and a variety of habitats.
Abalone Cove Tide Pools in Rancho Palos Verdes : Spend the day exploring tide pools with your family and friends while learning about sea life.
Point Vicente Interpretive Center in Palos Verdes Estates: Learn more about Southern California’s unique local wildlife, geology, and ecology at this educational center
Take a break from your everyday routine and enjoy the sunshine by exploring one of these great Parks & Playgrounds in the South Bay
Additional Outdoor Activities in the South Bay include:
- Manhattan Beach Botanical Garden
- Scootering at South Park
- A picnic at one of our beautiful beaches
- Going for a walk on one of many Kid Friendly Trails
- Fly a kite at the beach or various parks
- Visit Bruce’s Beach in Manhattan Beach
- Check out one of our South Bay Piers – Redondo Pier, Hermosa Beach Pier, and the Manhattan BeacFeed the ducks at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach. Please note, If feeding ducks, please do not feed bread. Feed Lettuce, corn, grapes, oats, and rice.
- Go Whale Watching in Redondo Beach
- Climb trees along the green belt wood chip trail
- Sled the berms in the winter on the beach
- Scooter, skate, or bike ride on The Strand
- Hermosa Beach Skate Park
- Harbor cruises from the Redondo Beach Pier
- Walk the paved path up to the queen’s necklace in Palos Verdes Estates for jaw dropping views
- Picnic under the planes as they fly over head from LAX
- Take lessons at the South Bay Archery Club
- Sailing lessons South Bay Sailing
- Anderson Park
- Horse Trail riding in Palos Verdes
- Go for a hike at Terranea then sit out on the lawn and have lunch or ice cream
- Averill Park in San Pedro has little lakes with lots of ducks, beautiful trees, a little waterfall and footbridge, and great big grassy hills to roll down.
- Metlox Shopping Center in Downtown Manhattan Beach- outdoor space to run around
- Clutter’s Park in El Segundo to watch LAX active runways and watch airplanes land/takeoff
- Go Kart World
- Rocketship Park – kids play and enjoy the view!
- Hermosa Beach Pier
- Scootering at South Park
- Southern California Live Steamers
- SUP – Stand Up Paddle Board in Redondo Beach
- Manhattan Beach Sand Dunes, bring trucks or beach stuff
Entertainment Venues in the South Bay
- Check out a movie at the Drive in theatre at The Roadium Open Air Market & Drive-In in Torrance
- Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center
- K1 Speed – Indoor Go Karts
- Check out the World of Dinosaurs at the South Bay Galleria
- Go to Olivia’s Dollhouse for a tea party
- Get creative at the Art Zone
- Dig It – Play To Learn: The Newest Indoor Play Space In Torrance
Cool off In the South Bay
- Seaside Lagoon is a fun place for the entire family, but only open during the summer months
- Splash Pad at Alondra Aquatic Center
- Begg Pool
- Kayaking or pedal boating in the Pacific Ocean from the Redondo Beach Pier
- Splash Pad at Promenade on the Peninsula, Rolling Hills Estates
- Hawthorne Pool
- Splash Pad at Wilson Park – Open seasonally
- Victor E Benstead Plunge, Torrance
Aquariums, Museums, and Historical Locations in the South Bay
When it comes to exploring, the South Bay has some really cool places to check out.
Cabrillo Marine Aquarium – Located in San Pedro: Explore the fascinating array of sea life that inhabit the South Bay’s waters with interactive exhibits, labs, and more.
Battleship USS Iowa Museum – Located in San Pedro: Climb aboard one of America’s biggest battleships. Learn about the history of the mighty USS Iowa and take a tour of its decks.
- Aquarium on the Manhattan Beach Pier
- San Pedro Sea Lion rescue at the Marine Mammal Care Center
- Visit the Korean Friendship Bell
- Point Vicente Interpretive Center and Lighthouse in Ranch Palos Verdes
- Western Museum of Flight in Torrance
- The Lomita Train Museum
- International Printing Museum
- Roundhouse Aquarium at the Manhattan Beach Pier
- Automobile Driving Museum – El Segundo
- The Los Angeles Fire Department Museum in San Pedro
Additional Places to go and explore in the South Bay
- Torrance YMCA
- Visit a local library
- Rainforest Flora – Indoor tropical nursery to feed the turtles and koi fish. $1 bag to feed
- Malaga Cove Library for Monday morning story-time
- Dignity Health Sports Park (Home of LA Galaxy)
- Looking Glass submarine
- Get creative at the Art Zone
- Go to a South Bay Laker’s Game
- Go see the Goodyear Blimp
- Ice Skating at the LA Kings Ice at Promenade on the Peninsula in Palos Verdes Peninsula