Sleep-away camps provide an excellent opportunity for kids to get away from home and experience new things. They can learn new skills, develop their independence, make friends from all over the country, and have a ton of fun. Plus, it’s a great break for parents, too.
Sleep-Away Summer Camps
There are many different sleep-away camps, from traditional to religious and even performing arts-based, so it’s essential to research to find the right one for your kids. We’ve compiled our top picks to help you get started.
Sleep-away summer camps tend to fill up quickly, so be sure to register soon!
These two YMCA camps have long been a staple for Los Angeles families looking to have their kids enjoy nature and escape the city for the summer. Like most YMCA activities, these camps are about building new skills, developing character, and making life-long friendships.
- Activities: Campers enjoy a wide range of traditional camp experiences, including arts & crafts, swimming, mountain biking, hiking, archery, and sports. Teen campers also get the opportunity to try rock climbing, and the high ropes challenge course.
- Age: Both camps offer programs for campers in 3rd through 8th grades and a teen program for students in grades 8 -12.
- Locations: Camp Whittle, 31701 Rim of the World Dr, Fawnskin, CA; Camp Marcil, 41011 Jenks Lake Rd W, Angelus Oaks, CA
- Cost: Camp Whittle is $725/ week, and Camp Marcil is $660/ week
- Website: ymcala.org/camps/ymca-camping-services
Wilshire Boulevard Temple provides a dynamic and fun environment for two separate camps during the summer. Both locations offer an experience focused on Judaism that campers won’t receive anywhere else.
Camp Hess Kramer is a bigger camp that can provide an engaging experience with large-scale activities for 350 campers and staff.
Gindling Hilltop Camp, on the other hand, is more intimate with just 150 campers and staff. At Hilltop, campers really get to know everyone, and kids learn what it means to be a part of something extraordinary.
- Activities: In the spirit of Jewish tradition, kids read the Torah enjoy Israeli dancing, songs, and relaxing activities.
- Age: Both camps take kids based on their grade level. There are different weeks for different grade levels. Kids from grades 3-12 can participate in these sleep-away summer camps.
- Location: 3663 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
- Cost: Camp fees depend on what grade your child is in. Tuition starts at $800 for a 3-night stay and goes up to $6400 for the older campers.
- Website: wbtcamps.org
Wasewagan Outdoor School is a sleep-away summer camp perfect for kids who love the outdoors. This camp is located in Big Bear Lake, CA, and offers campers a chance to experience nature. Campers will enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, and much more.
- Activities: There are tons of exciting activities for kids to enjoy, such as swimming, archery, volleyball, basketball, river walks, canoeing, paintballing, kayaking, fishing, and ziplining.
- Age: Kids ages 5-16 can enjoy this sleep-away camp.
- Location: 42121 Seven Oaks Rd, Angelus Oaks, CA
- Cost: A 1-week camp is $1560, and a 2-week camp is $2950.
- Website: wasewagan.com
Pali Adventure Camp is a sleep-away summer camp perfect for kids who love adventure. This camp is located in the San Bernardino Mountains and offers campers a truly unique experience.
Pali offers 28-amazing programs from aviation and secret agent camp to movie makeup and more. Before campers arrive, they choose one focus or specialty for the week they come. The mornings are spent with kids doing their chosen activity.
- Activities: With 28 programs, kids can choose activities like aviation, extreme action, flying trapeze, Hollywood stunts, wacky sports, water sports, fashion, film, wacky science, and more.
- Age: Pali Adventures is a sleep-away summer camp for kids ages 8-16.
- Location: 30778 CA-18, Running Springs, CA
- Cost: For 1 week, the price is $2145.
- Website: paliadventures.com
Camp JCA Shalom is one of the most popular sleep-away summer camps in LA. Located in the heart of Los Angeles, this camp offers kids a chance to experience Jewish life and culture like never before. It is a place for kids to come and explore Judaism in a fun, safe, and welcoming environment. Campers will enjoy participating in traditional Jewish ceremonies and more.
Although we are highlighting their summer camp programs, JCA Shalom Camp is the “Camp for All Seasons.” Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall!
- Activities: Kids get to experience a wide range of activities, including horseback riding, archery, outdoor cooking, ziplining, swimming, water sports, pioneer skills, Maccabiah Games, Israeli days, and more!
- Age: They offer two-week sessions for children entering grades 2-8, a three-week session for kids entering grades 5-8, a special one-week mini-camp for kids entering grades 2-6, and a variety of programs for teens entering grades 9-12.
- Location: 34342 Mulholland Hwy, Malibu, CA
- Cost: Early bird rates start at $1010 for mini-camp sessions and $2745 for regular sleep-away summer camp. Prices vary depending on the week and activities.
- Website: campjcashalom.com
Canyon Creek Summer Camp is a coed sleep-away camp nestled in the Angeles National Forest in Southern California. They provide a safe, non-competitive environment where kids can build confidence, develop independence, learn teamwork, and gain problem-solving skills in a fun-filled way.
- Activities: There are over 60 activities kids can choose from, including archery, arts and crafts, go-karts, laser tag, scuba diving, swimming, mini-bike riding, sports, and more.
- Age: Kids ages 7-16 can enjoy this sleep-away camp.
- Location: 41600 Lake Hughes Rd, Lake Hughes, CA
- Cost: Age 7-14 is $2200 per week, and age 15-16 is $2000 per week.
- Website: canyoncreeksummercamp.com
There is no sleep-away summer camp like Rawhide Ranch! It’s a kids camp straight out of the Wild West. At Rawhide, campers have fun learning about horses and livestock while discovering the importance of integrity, respect, hard work, and the value of community.
- Activities: There are many wild west things to do like harnessing pony carts, riding horses, and outdoor cooking. There are also plenty of traditional camp activities like rock climbing, archery, arts and crafts, sports/games, and swimming.
- Age: Kids ages 7-15 can enjoy a week overnight at Rawhide Ranch. There are day camps for ages 5 and up as well.
- Location: 6987 W Lilac Rd, Bonsall, CA
- Cost: Overnight camps are $979.
- Website: rawhideranch.com
Camp Bravo is a week-long performing art sleep-away summer camp. The summer camp provides a safe, non-competitive environment for kids to explore their passions for performance and theater. If your tweens and teens live to sing and perform, this is the camp for them.
- Activities: Performing arts activities include acting, story theater, combat, musical theater, sketch comedy, dance, and more.
- Age: Middle school and High school
- Location: 41750 Jenks Lake Road West Angelus Oaks, CA
- Cost: $750 per session (2 week-long summer sessions)
- Website: campbravo.org
The Bar 717 Ranch/ Camp Trinity was founded in 1930! It is the oldest co-educational summer camp in California. Kids live, work, and play on 450 acres of wilderness, learning pioneer skills, resourcefulness, and respect for the land while having fun-filled friendships and rewarding experiences. Though this camp is located in Northern California, it is worth the trek for the unforgettable experience.
- Activities: There are a variety of activities kids can enjoy here, including horsemanship, backpacking, gardening, animal care, river swimming, arts and crafts, photography, riflery, music, archery, blacksmithing, ceramics, and more.
- Age: Children 8-16 can enjoy this sleep-away camp.
- Location: 17197 Hyampom Rd, Hayfork, CA
- Cost: Tuition is based on the number of weeks kids are staying. Sleep-away summer camp is $3700 for two weeks or $7150 for four weeks.
- Website: bar717.com
More Summer Camps
Where do you send your kids for a sleep-away summer camp experience? We’d love for you to share your favorite summer camp in our Local Anchor Facebook Group.